Ecommerce has hit storefront and brick-and-mortar business locations hard, with online purchases accounting for nearly 21% of retail sales during 2020. As more consumers prefer to shop from the comfort of their homes or desks, small businesses that aren’t equipped or able to operate digitally may see sales plummet. However, creative marketing efforts can win back the foot traffic, and one area to capitalize on is scent marketing. Scent marketing USA engages more than just the visual sense of the consumer, delivering smells or scents that encourage more positive purchasing behaviors.
What Is Scent Marketing USA?
Researchers have found a strong connection between consumer shopping tendencies and the sense of smell. While the sense of smell is known to be linked to the body’s ability to taste and identify food, as well as unpleasant or pleasant substances, there are also connections between other cognitive functions and the power of scent. Odors have the ability to trigger memories ad influence mood. Capitalizing on the scent-memory connection is a way to draw in consumers and influence their purchasing behaviors.
Scent marketing moves consumers away from visual content, a medium that has over saturated their lives. Rather than letting your message or brand get lost in a blur of pixels, neon lights or lots of words, scent marketing utilizes fragrances and scents to create an emotional connection with the consumer and trigger specific purchases. For businesses able to successfully incorporate scents to stimulate buying impulses, a rise in sales can be expected.
How Does Your Brand Fit Into Scent Marketing USA?
Have you ever thought of what your brand smells like? Marketing strategies often focus on what a brand should look like and what values to reveal through the logo or mission statement. However, with the sense of smell being far more impacting than a visual element, more time should be spent considering what your brand smells like. For scent marketing to be effective, there needs to be a noticeable link between a chosen fragrance and your product or service. For example, the smell of cinnamon wouldn’t be an appropriate fragrance for a tire shop.
For your brand to fit with a scent marketing strategy, your fragrance needs to define your brand or achieve a specific goal for the brand. While the long-term goal is to increase sales, there should also be a motive behind the scent. There are different motivations, perceptions or connotations associated with various fragrances, so careful selection is necessary to create the most positive associations with your brand.
Scents That Encourage Positive Responses
Your product may have nothing to do with food, leaving you free to determine your own scent. There are hundreds of scents or combinations to choose from; here are few ideas to get you started:
- Lavender: This scent is a must-have if you are looking to create an atmosphere of relaxation. It is considered highly soothing and lifts the mood.
- Cinnamon: This fragrance is considered to be cozy and comforting. It is also known to encourage the brain to work harder and improve attention span, working memory and visual-motor response.
- Pine: Though often popular around the winter holidays, the scent of pine can be used year-round due to its benefits. This scent is associated with reducing anxiety and stress levels, and it also encourages deep relaxation.
- Citrus: A happy and uplifting scent, citrus brings feelings of happiness and creates a renewed energy. Fragrances included in the citrus family are lemon, lime, orange, and bergamot.
- Vanilla: If you are looking for a scent that creates a cozy space, then vanilla is the fragrance for you. While some consider it bland, this scent lifts the spirits to bring joy and relaxation.
- Peppermint: This is a scent that boosts brain performance, increasing motivation and cognitive performance. It’s an overall feel-good smell that helps invigorate the mood.
- Jasmine: As a floral scent, jasmine helps stimulate a sense of alertness and chases away depressive thoughts. Though it’s a tiny flower, its fragrance has some powerful positivity perks.
Scents for Every Season
A strong scent marketing USA strategy should consistently deliver a chosen fragrance into the environment. It is also possible to increase your sales by changing the scent according to seasonal needs. Thanksgiving and winter holidays are ideal seasons where this is effective. Christmas scents are highly recognizable, often warm and rich, while pumpkin, cider and spice are associated with fall. While you don’t want to crowd out your chosen brand scent, you can lightly supplement with seasonal scents to create a more inviting shopping atmosphere for your consumers.
Holiday scents often remind people of their childhood, and joyous memories influence spending. Many of the holiday scents are also known to decrease feelings of depression and anxiety, making it easier for people to spend longer time in your store and spend more money. Common holiday scents include:
- Cedar, pine, cyprus
- Sugar cookies or gingerbread
What Products Support Scent Marketing USA?
Any product or service you offer can benefit from a scent marketing strategy, including standalone diffusers and candles. To deliver a subtle hint of fragrance without overwhelming your consumers, you need a quality scent machine. Whole Home Scenting offers an easy-to-install HVAC unit that delivers the perfect balance of fragrance for spaces up to 5,000 square feet. For spaces that need more coverage, adding additional diffusers is a breeze. These units can be monitored and controlled through an app on your phone, putting you fully in control of your scent marketing strategy.
Whole Home Scenting also carries several uniquely blended fragrances that are paraben and phthalate-free and made in the USA. Some of the more popular scents include:
- Golden Hour (notes of white florals, cedar and freesia)
- Lavender Vanilla (sweet vanilla and fresh lavender
- Apple Crate (wood, musk and bright apple tones)
- Cactus Blossom (citrus, coconut and floral notes)
How Can You Get Started With Scent Marketing USA?
Place an order for a Whole Home Scenting diffuser to get started with your scent marketing strategy. The right fragrance under scent marketing USA can create brand recognition and increase your company’s sales.